Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Custard Sponge Cake




Sponge Cake,,,,,the very words are enough to make me run for the hills.  I remember my Mum always said that the perfect sponge cake was hard to achieve and I should just stick to normal cakes if I wanted a success.  I don't know why, but these words that she said to me way back when I first started to bake things, way back when I was an early teen, stayed with me and I just never bothered with a sponge cake.  I would try my hand at any other cake, but nope not a sponge.

So when I came across this recipe last month, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and give it a go (after all it is just a cake for goodness sake! lol).  So I decided that for Hubby's birthday, he would get a sponge cake.  With my Mum's words still echoing in my head, I told him to grab a pavlova from the Cheesecake Shop on his way home from work,,,just in case my sponge was inedible!

I needn't have worried.  This cake was definitely edible and in fact quite yummy.  It probably could have been a little bit lighter and fluffier but I had Stinky helping me make her Dad's cake this year and the mixture did get a little overwhipped, but considering this, the cake was quite light and fluffy.  I am going to try making it again,,,,,this time without my helper lol,,,,,and see just how light and fluffy I can get it.

Here is the link for the recipe:  Custard Sponge Cake

Go on and give it a go, you won't be sorry!!

The decorated result





Straight out of the oven,,,,to say I was ecstatic was an understatement lol

5 comments:

  1. Oh good job on the cake! Isn't it weird the scariness of making a sponge? Why is it so? Maybe one day I will try! But no jam please... I hate cake with jam in it! I will check out your link for the recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
    Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, today I'm collecting cake recipes. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post in my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very delicious, I am gonna try this at home.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!