Friday 20 April 2012

Custard Cherry Cookies



Wow, it has been so long since I have had a chance to share any recipes, I just can' believe how fast this year is going.  I must admit I have been sticking to my failsafe recipes lately and forgetting to photograph the dishes lol,,,,,not something I should forget to do considering the main aim of this blog is to create a recipe file of the kid's favourite recipes right???  Right!

But life is life and it moves so fast that I tend to cook, the kid's make the said dishes disappear at the speed of light and then I think "Darn I really should have grabbed a photo of that".  Aaah well such is life.  I will try to keep a camera at the ready more often,,,,,notice I said "try"!!!

Sweet dishes are something that I usually do get the chance to take photos of and I love to try out new sweet things.  Sweets are one thing that I usually find at least a couple of the kids will like regardless of what I make. I like making cakes and biscuits due to the simple fact that they at least last a couple of days at least.

This is a recipe I found a few years ago in a magazine (don't ask me which one, I have no idea lol).  Straight away I was reminded of my Mum making these when I was a kid.  I loved them back then and my kids loved them too.  I found them a little too "dry" for my taste now, but one mouthful was all it took to take me back to munching on these out on the big back verandah when I was about 8 or 9 years old.   I remember I used to eat the biscuit all the way around and save the bit with the cherry for the last bite!



My kids gave these the thumbs up, with most of them even eating the cherry which surprised me considering they all generally screw their noses up at glace cherries!



CUSTARD CHERRY BISCUITS

250 grams unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1/2 Cup icing sugar, sifted
2 Cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup custard powder, sifted
Glace cherries, halved - 1/2 a cherry per biscuit


Preheat oven to a moderate 180 degrees (I used 160 degrees in my fan forced oven)
Lightly grease and line 2 baking trays
In a large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
Gradually fold in the flour and custard powder combined.
Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls.
Arrange on prepared trays, leaving space between each biscuit to allow for spreading.
Flatten lightly with a fork.
Press cherry halves, cut side down onto each biscuit.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
Cool on trays.

*  These biscuits will be soft when removed from oven but will harden on cooling  *

1 comment:

  1. We call these Lady Alice biscuits in our house, and usually grew up with them around xmas time with green and red glace cherries in them...good luck with your move this year, hope it all goes well and you are settled again soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!