Thursday 22 March 2012

Fried Rice

Just to prove that we aren't all about sweets in this house, we tried out a new Fried Rice recipe a few days ago that I definitely think is worth sharing.  I don't usually attempt fried rice as I have never been able to get it to taste as good as the Chinese restaurants do and I don't normally enjoy it.  This one however, we all loved and the best bit is that it tastes equally good cold!

 

We used a recipe out of "Wok & Stirfry", a book given to us by Buddha's best friend's mum and dad for Christmas.  His friend's mum is Asian and Buddha loves going to their house and always comes home telling us of yummy food that he has eaten there.  I have asked her for several of her recipes,,,,maybe this gift was a hint to stop asking her for recipes?? lol

 

Anyway, finally we got around to trying one of the recipes and oh boy I am so glad we did.  The book calls this Chicken Fried Rice, but since I was cooking chicken anyway, I left the chicken out and added in diced bacon instead.




CHICKEN FRIED RICE

Small knob of butter
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tablespoon oil
6 spring onions, chopped
450 grams cooked chicken, cubed (I used bacon pieces)
3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stick, diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
175 grams peas
100 grams canned sweetcorn, drained
275 grams cooked, long grain rice

Heat the butter in a small heavy based frying pan and add the beaten egg.
Swirl the egg until it covers the base of the pan.
Cook until the egg has set and is cooked through, then turn out onto a plate.
Cut the omelette into strips.

Heat a wok over medium heat then add the oil.
Add the spring onions and fry till soft, then add the chicken/bacon and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir fry for 5-6 minutes.

Stir in the carrots, celery, red pepper, peas and sweetcorn and stir fry for 5 minutes.
Add the rice and stir thoroughly.

Finally add in the omelette strips and remaining soy sauce.

Serve immediately

This was more or less a tripled recipe - I was serving 6 plus I made enough for left overs so the kids could  have it for a quick dinner the following night, plus Buddha had it for school lunch for 2 days as well.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, fried rice never disappoints in a large family. Such a great mission to send children off into the world with cooking skills & nutrition smarts, we're doing it too & they are starting to cook for us already, love Posie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!