Thursday 14 July 2011

JELLY SLICE



  I love simple no fuss cooking and baking.  Even though this recipe has the potential to fall apart if you mis-time the jelly pouring, it is so yummy it is worth the risk lol.   (Besides you can always just make another jelly if you let it set too much and then you  can have the "too set" jelly with icecream for dessert!! :-)  )  This is a recipe that I got introduced to when I was a teenager.  I remember my sister in law at the time, made it and I was in heaven!  I think I made a thorough pig of myself that day lol and made her write the recipe out for me that same day.  She kept saying how simple it was to make, at the time I thought "how can something that tastes this good be easy to make" but you know what?  She was right it is pretty simple most of the time lol!!

I made this on the weekend to take along to my friend's 1st Birthday celebration for her little boy Theodore....and just for the record, I let the jelly set too long lol.  I couldn't believe it, I have made this recipe so many times and I had never had it fall apart but this time the jelly was just that little bit too far gone and as I went to cut the slice up to put on a platter it came apart.  I quickly had to tip the jelly off and make up another jelly which got placed in the freezer to cool quickly.  Thankfully the second time around I got it right.  So just a word of warning, don't forget about your jelly,,,it only has to cool, not begin to set!!

JELLY SLICE

1 packet plain sweet biscuits, crushed into crumbs 
165 grams butter, melted
1 tin of Condensed Milk
2 dessertspoons gelatine
3/4 Cup boiling water
Juice of 2 lemons
1 packet of jelly made with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water



Crush the biscuits (food processors are great for this!)


Melt the butter and then pour it in with the biscuit crumbs.  Whizz it in the food processor until it comes together.


Spread into a lamington tray (I like to line my tray as I find sometimes the biscuit base sticks a little) and push down so that it is nice and firm.

Place in fridge to set.

While the biscuit base is setting, you can make the white layer.

Simply mix the condensed milk and the lemon juice together.
Thoroughly mix the gelative and boiling water together until the gelatine is completely dissolved.
Add the gelatine mix to the condensed milk and thoroughly mix it through.


Pour this mixture over your biscuit base and place back in the fridge to set.


Prepare Jelly (remember to use just 1.5 cups of boiling water to make it)


Place jelly in fridge to cool (remember this has to be just cool, not setting lol)
Pour jelly over the condensed milk layer and place the whole lot back into the fridge again until the jelly sets.

Once set, slice it up into squares and enjoy.  This is very "moreish" and it never lasts long in our house!



1 comment:

  1. This is my sons favourite sweet. I must make it again soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!