Friday 18 November 2011

BAKED CUSTARD CREAM



 
This recipe intrigued me with its name.  I love custard, creamy smooth custard, oh yum!!!  Baked custards always remind me of my Mum's Baked Custard and her Bread and Butter Puddings.  Sadly I don't have her recipe and every time I have attempted to make a Baked Custard it just never works out.  That is probably why I had never up to this point attempted this recipe.  Years of failures took away my confidence.

Well finally, I bit the bullet and gave this recipe a go, and I have to say, it is pretty yummy.  While it doesn't have the same sweetness as my Dear Old Mum's custard, it is smooth, oh so smooth!  It actually worked, I just couldn't believe it!  It is a bit more work than a normal baked custard but the fact that it worked made it a winner lol.





I had a little bit left in the big bowl and I couldn't resist finishing it off when the kids were at school the next day (No the "little bit left" isn't what you see pictured in the white bowl lol, it truly was only a spoonful or so left in the bowl when I attacked it :-)    ). 
So if you like really smooth custard that isn't sickly sweet, give this recipe a go.  The egg white gives it a slight crustiness on top and just adds another texture to it.





30 grams Butter
3 tablespoons Castor Sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon Plain Flour
1 tablespoon Self Raising Flour
2 cups Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add sifted flours, combine well.
Put milk in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until the milk reaches simmering point.
Remove the milk from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Gradually beat the milk into the creamed butter/sugar mixture, beating all the time, mix well.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
Gently fold the egg whites into the custard mixture.
Pour the custard into a lightly greased ovenproof dish.
Place into a large baking dish with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish containing the custard.
Bake in moderate oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until the custard is firm

Serves 4-6

1 comment:

  1. I wont try this today...but when it is cooler I certainly will, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!