Friday 26 August 2011

Chocolate Mud Cake - Our Gang's Style!

 I don't think there are too many people on earth that aren't tempted by Chocolate Mud Cake.  Just a small piece every now and then is just divine.  Now I hate buying ready made cakes, part of that is because we are trying to be more frugal in our lives or just the fact that cakes are generally speaking, so darn easy to make why would you bother.  I love homemade food, there is no denying it.  Home baked goodies always taste so much better I think and the other things is that I like to know what exactly I am feeding my family.  I like to have the final say as to what ingredients I use.  I'm not saying everything I make is healthy lol, far from it but at least I know what goes into my cooking.

Everyone in my family loves this cake, all that is except for Buddha,,,he hates chocolate!  Nothing on earth could persuade him to open his mouth and just have a tiny bit of this cake.  Lucky for him I froze some of the Anzac Cake from the other week.  He happily takes a piece of that for his recess at school while the rest of the Gang all have the Mud Cake.

Believe me, this recipe is one that you just have to try at least one, it is so easy to make and your family will love you for it, I promise!

CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

2 cups Plain Flour
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt 
4 tablespoons Cocoa
1 cup Cold Water
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Bicarb Soda

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa in a large bowl.



In a saucepan mix the water, oil and butter.

 
Bring to a boil.
 Pour onto dry mix and beat until smooth (I just mix it up with a wooden spoon).

Mix the buttermilk, beaten eggs and bicarb soda together.


Add this mixture to the mix.
Beat until well combined (once again I just used a wooden spoon).


 This batter will be thin but don't worry.
Pour into a well greased and lined cake tin (I recommend using a deep cake tin as it is quite a large amount of mixture)



Bake at 170 degrees C until done (in my oven it took about 50 minutes).
Cool on a wire rack and while still slightly warm frost with your favourite icing.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Its wonderful to know that I can actually make this without a mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, I love the simplicity of not having to get out the big mixer, besides lol I don't have a mixer at the moment, my poor old mixer that I have had for 20 years broke and a new one just isn't in the budget at the moment lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!